Monday, August 6, 2012

Lessons Learned

As I sit, looking out the window of my Kentucky home, the grass is green and it is currently raining a nice drizzling rain. I am trying to think of stories and one comes to mind that taught me a valuable lesson in life.

I was between the age of 5-7 when my father brought home a family to live with us. Actually, it was just the kids, the father was on his way to jail, and the mother was having a breakdown of some sort.  So, he thought he would save the day and let them live with us. I'm guessing, but I think there were four girls ranging from the ages of 5-12. At first, we were excited to have company, but it didn't take long for that to wear off. We soon discovered that they were sly and devious. When no one would confess to the crime, my Father would line us up and give us all an equal spanking, so it didn't take us too long to figure them out.

Michelle was my age, and was possibly the worst. One day, she took my treasured white patton leather purse, and wrote all over it in blue ink pen. She denied doing it and tried to blame me, but my Mother knew that I loved that purse and would not have destroyed it like that, so Michelle got in trouble. Later that day, she cornered me and told me that when her dad got out of jail, he was going to find me and kill me. I had never been so scared in my life. Of course, my family assured that nothing bad would happen to me, but I had nightmares in my little girl mind and was sure that something bad would happen.

My sweet sister Helen taught me a song (I only wish that I could remember which song that it was, but it was something about being happy) and told me to sing it everytime that I got scared. I remember singing that song faithfully for months on end, trying to erase the fear from my mind.

That was lesson number one on how important our thoughts are to our reality. It taught me that I could sit around and worry myself sick, or I could think happy thoughts and move on with my life. I think this was the first in many lessons that I learned about mind control. My sweet Mother was always telling us that we were in control of our minds, and it would confuse me because I felt that I had so little control over my mind. But as I grew, I realized that even though it was hard, it was possible with work and effort.  Thank you Mother.

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment