Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I have a chicken lover...




Reagan and I went Chicken Shopping last Saturday. My neighbor told me that her brother that lives in Paris heard that there was going to be a Chicken Swap at the Paris Stockyards. So, Reagan and I being the adventurers that we are, took off and headed that way.

Now, I'm just guess'n, but I'm thinking that maybe none of you have been to a Chicken Swap lately and let me tell you, it is an amazinig experience. There were at least 25-30 trucks lined up with their tailgates open to display their merchandise. There were more bad teeth at that Chicken Swap then any small town west of the Mississippi River.

Reagan had to talk me out of the miniture horse several times and I had to talk her out of the two little pigs that one guy had.

Even though there were lots of chickens, there weren't many the size that we wanted. The guy that we got our first 5 from said that if we added any to try to get the same size so that they wouldn't pick on each other too much. We also wanted some that lay nice brown eggs, so we were about to give up when we came upon this kindly man with not too many teeth, and he was packing it up for the day, but he had 5 chicks that were alittle smaller then we wanted, but he made us a deal of 5 for $10.00 and it came with the box to go home it, so we decided it was destiny. He also told us this story about some varment eating his little ones every night, so we figured we had to rescue the poor creatures.

They are quite a bit smaller then the others that we have, but Reagan spent almost the whole day out there teaching them to be nice to each other, so she feels like they will be good.
She is so sweet. She visits them several times a day and when she goes out to shut them in for the night, she takes the time to hold each one and talk to them. She is pretty funny. I'm just looking forward to the eggs.

So, we now have 10 chickens...Laylaa, Baby, Blare, Ginger, Betty, Dot, Reddy, Maggy, Margaret, and Splash. Lilly, do any of yours have names other then the Cock?

Love you all,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment