Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Mrs. Bateman saved the Day

Hello sisters,
This story is about Donna and how much we treasured her and cared for her in our family.  Donna was around 3 months old and so very precious to us.   One summer day mother decided to leave us younger children  home to tend her.  I was 10,  Ruth was 8, Beth was 7 and Lilly was 5.  We were the only ones home.  I do not know where everyone went.  We had just lost our sweet sister Fara to a head injury and  death was something we didn't talk about.  Mother did not talk about Fara without leaving and walking out.  Anyway back to the story.  I was in charge and precious Donna started to cry.  So I said, "Should we feed her?" Ruth said,"Yes, Beth and I will make her a bottle. So, Lilly sat by me and we started to sing a song to Donna to make her happy.  She looked up at us and smiled a little but something was still wrong.  When the bottle came she was still not happy.  So we decided to walk outside and try to make her happy.  Well, on the way out of the door, I tripped on a rug and on my way down I knew that I needed to hold on to her tight and not let her get hurt.  I tried to take most of the fall on my arms but Donna rolled out of my arms.  By, then she was screaming and we all started to cry with her.  I said, What if she hit her head? O my goodness, we should take her down to Mrs. Bateman, she knows babies?"  The little girls nodded their tear stained eyes and we started walking down to the neighbors to see if we had hurt our little baby sister.  We were really frightened that we had killed her.  Ruth and Beth ran ahead and knocked on the door and told Mrs. Bateman our dilemma.  Lilly and I came in with Donna just screaming her head off.  We were a scarred group of children.  Well, dear Mrs. Bateman gathered Donna in her arms and sat in the rocker and looked Donna over.  After her examination it was decided that she was wet and scarred because of the drop.  Mrs. Bateman wrapped her up in a blanket and rocked and rocked her.  We felt such a relief with Donna settling down that we were able to stop our sobbing.  She told us to go out and find our favorite friends, her daughters, Danielle, and Ruth's friend.  It was quite the experience.  I don't remember how we got home, all I remember was being eternally grateful for Mrs. Bateman and her rocking chair.
Love you sisters,
Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment