Monday, September 10, 2012

Making Memories

Dear Sisters,
     I had a great time at the reunion at the Ranch last weekend.  It was a time of reflection and loving gratitude.  I still have a hard time when I don't see Mother and Janice at the gate.  I know I'm not going to hear her at the piano, playing one of her concert pieces ever again.  But I pulled my car into the driveway and Janice and I ( I picked Janice up in Panaca and brought her out with me) unloaded our suitcases and took them upstairs to our rooms.  Lee's Beth and Laura and the little kids were busy cleaning up the back patio.  They had planted 3 nice oak trees and 1 elm, 2 up above and 2 down by the basketball hoop.  Beth had already staked up some fences around them and they look beautiful. I sure hope they do well. They had planted fresh new flowers in mothers flower beds by the patio. They were so proud to show them off.  We finished helping them clean up the yard and it really looked nice.
     I think the Brothers really enjoyed themselves this year.  We had a small group, probably only about fifty all together.  We all sat around and listened to Keith tell his stories and of course we all interjected our own interpretation of the truth when he would let us. The auction was a huge success, even if there was only 5 bidders. (The rich ones with Jobs!!)  We let the brothers and Helen and their kids bid away and ended up with $400 and they ended up with really, really over priced Junk!!! Everyone was happy to have donated so that we can have a fun reunion again next year.
     Helen and I made a relay course for the underwear game and divided up 2 very reluctant teams. We made them climb into some very big granny panties and run the relay course, holding onto the panties for dear life. 
     Thanks to Brad and Lilly we had some yummy dutch oven chicken and potatoes for supper. Then we started a fire in the big pit on the patio and started singing.  We sang all the rounds we could remember, dividing Keith's group to do the horns,  Roger's group to do the trumpets,  Helen's group to play the violins and my group to play the Clarinets!  We sang all the state songs we could remember.  Idaho, Utah, Nevada and California all got a song dedicated to them. So fun and then Janice yelled out, "Sugar In The Mornin". So we sang that one for her. Makes you wonder how many songs she knows. Probably all of them.
     I have to tell you about the special treat I got to see Friday night.  Sam, Ruleen and Alisha and family came out and had their tents all set up when I got back from going up to Lee's to use the phone for the last time!! How was I ever going to survive!! I mentioned to Lee that Ruleen and Family were up to the ranch setting up, and after he had fed Janice and I fresh cooked corn-on-the-cob, he got all the kids in the car and followed us home so he could visit with them a minute. They are real campers.. have all the gear..tents, stoves, lamps, port-a-potty, warm sleeping bags and blankets. We visited until dark and then walked back to the house.  Emma walked over to the piano and started playing 'God Bless America'. Maggie, Beth, Laura, Ava and Page all gathered around the piano and started singing.  I swallowed the lump in my throat and started singing alto.  I knew if Lee saw even the glint of a tear, he would cry and then we would both be a mess.  Lee sang baritone and we had ourselves a chorus.  Watching Lee's family singing song after song together was so special and I couldn't get over the powerful, wonderful gift that Mother has given them.  Thank you mother. Everyone of those darling girls lives will be forever blessed because of you. Just as ours have been.  Hugs and Kisses, Jelene

No comments:

Post a Comment