Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Donna's first half marathon - The Ironhorse






The first picture is proof that Troy was there, even though he missed me crossing the finish line because he went to a store.

The first half of the race was very hilly, but nothing too terrible, just long rolling hills. Just before I came back thru town where the people were cheering us on, I passed the half way point and was thrilled when I saw my time at the half way point was 1:04:00. I was so excited that I was under my goal, so I just kept going. But let me tell you, the second half was killer. They started nice and flat and then all of a sudden there are hills that make you say,  "I think it's time for me to walk for a bit." I didn't feel too bad though, because almost everyone walked those last two terrible hills, so I wasn't alone.

There was an older lady that I stayed with the whole time. She said that she used to be competetive and always trying to win, but now she just does it for the fun. She walked and ran the whole time. I would catch her on her walks and then she would get in front on her runs. I was joking with Brandon at the start, that I was going to find some old guy with a limp and try to stay up with him. So, she ended up being my old guy with a limp. You would be surprised at how awesome some of these old people with limps are. lol.

The last picture is a one that Brandon took. The scenery that we ran through was wonderful. At several points there were horses that were running along the fences with us because they were shocked to see 1200-1400 people running up and down their road in strange, bright running clothes. Brandon has a knack for photography. He really enjoys it and takes some great pictures.

It was so cute. As I came towards the finish line, they met me, then Reagan ran along with me, while Bailey and Brandon ran up ahead and pulled an invisible rope across a spot just before the finish line, so I ran thru it with my hands up over my head. They were all so proud of me. A Very Happy Day. I don't know what I would do without my kids sometimes. They bring me so much happiness these days.

Oh, and at the end, I sprinted and passed my lady with the limp just for good measure.

On another note, Brandon's marching band went away as the Grand Champions of the Competition that they were in on Saturday. They did so good. I can't wait for this weekend. The girls don't have a race, so we are going to spend all afternoon and night watching Brandon and hanging out with the band. I already told Troy to drive a separate car so that he can go home when he wants to. I'm so sweet.

The aftermath: it is challenging to walk up or down stairs, sit on the potty or do any kind of bending over. I think by tomorrow I might feel like I'm getting back to normal.

Donna



No comments:

Post a Comment