Saturday, October 27, 2012

Cross Country 2012


The starting line with 357 middle school girls headed out for their 4k run (approx 2.5 miles)
The herd of girls as they make their way towards the finish line.
Reagan with her warrior paint on, making it look easy.

She had me so worried at the halfway point. I saw all of the Hayes girls in a clump and she is usually near them, but it seemed like forever before I saw her. I cheered her on and then hurried accross the field to the finish line so that I could be there when she got there. I was so releived when I saw that she had done her usual and passed a bunch of runners in the second half of the race. She was 5th out of our team of the top 7 girls that got to run in this race, so she had caught up to, and passed some of the girls that were in the clump that I had seen earlier.

Our top runner came in 7th and the team came in 2nd in the state. Reagan was 64th over all.  We were so proud of them for all of their hard work.

It was a nice (40 degree) windy morning with a gentle misty rain biting at your face. It's a good thing we were only there for 3 hours. lol.  I felt so bad when Reagan had to strip down to her uniform and get ready to run. They were all so cold, but it's actually easier to run in this weather than when it's 80 and humid.

Bailey didn't qualify to run in the main race, so she was supposed to run in the open race, which is boys and girls, so she bailed and decided she didn't want to run. But she was there being supportive to the team.

Today, Brandon is with the band in Bowling Green at his State Finals Competition. He called us to say that they had the best performance of the year and was so excited, but a little while ago a parent called me to tell me that they came in ninth. So, I'm sure that the whole band is feeling so down right now. I'm so sad because they are so much better this year than they were last year and they got eighth.

So, I am so sad for the band. They have put so much heart into this year's show and it didn't come thru for them. But I am so proud of all the work and effort that they put into it. They are definitely the hardest working group on campus and they don't get near the recognition that they deserve. They take it so much more serious then we did in HS. I think we did one local contest and one in California and that was it. These guys do a contest every weekend for two months straight and get all crazy. I'm not sure which is better. I think Brandon is actually having a better experience then I did, so I think they know what they are doing, but there is so much work that goes into it.

I warned Reagan today that next year was Brandon's last year in band and Bailey's first year and she was probably going to be on her own for State Cross Country next year. I'm going to have to be where ever Brandon and Bailey are and Reagan will have to be with either Troy or friends, because I'm for the first time going to be at the State Marching Band Finals with the band.

Yeehaa

Love ya'll
Donna


Love you all,
Donna



 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment