Monday, October 8, 2012

Crazy Living arrangements

When we first moved to Vegas, I wouldn't say that we lived in a nice neighborhood or anything, but it was a house and to us it was a nice enough house. Then we moved to an even nicer neighborhood that I really liked because I was within walking distance to my school and I actually had neighborhood friends to hang around with. I'm not sure why we moved from there, but suddenly we were living in a trailer and Father had arranged for us to help around the place in exchange for living in this trailer. In my mind, he just didn't want to provide for us anymore, so he was trying to find places for us to live for free. I don't remember that much about it except that Lilly and I slept out in the tackle room with the saddles and I remember freezing to death one night and thinking, "This isn't really working for me. " (Like my opinion mattered)

After that we moved across the street in to a nice unfinished house, where we were also going to help him finish his house and do lots of work around the yard. I liked that place better. At least we had a nice bathroom and didn't have to sleep with the saddles. At this point (13 years old) I had accepted that I wasn't going to be inviting any friends over for fun little sleep overs, so it didn't really matter that carpet remnants were all over the house and everywhere else was just concrete. We lived there for a while and I'm not really sure what we did to the house. But eventually, he got tired of us and we had to move again.

Then came the best of the best. We moved out into a trailer in the dessert accross the street from Roger and Kady. There was no running water or electricity for the first month or so. I basically sponge bathed during that time. Now I know why I didn't have any boyfriends. Hahaha, that wouldn't have been allowed even if the boys were all over me.

Lilly and I used to talk and wonder what in the heck our Mother was doing putting up with the stuff that she did from Father. These are the years that formulated my NEED for good plumbing and in the back of my mind I think if my husband moves me into a trailer with no running water and electricity I have premade the decision to run the other way. lol

I have to say though, that I was the happiest girl in the world when my Father bought me a Datson 210 with the passenger side door crushed in. It was my escape vehicle. I was truely grateful for that car. I don't think I ever thought for a second about the dent. I just knew it was my transportation away from my trailer in the dessert.

Anyway, it's funny how in some ways I strive to be like my Mother and in other ways, I pray that I'm never like her. I value her spiritual side so much, but then am puzzled by her lack of courage in other areas.

I am going to strive to be more truthful to myself. Even if it means communicating uncomfortable issues in my relationships.

I love you all,
Donna


No comments:

Post a Comment