Saturday, July 7, 2012


Hi my name is Ruth. I was 2 1/2 years old when we moved to Colorado City, Arizona. I only remember being the prettiest and the fastest girl in town, and always being followed by at least ten other girls. I was cool and I knew it. Then we moved to the ranch and that all went away. What an adventure this was going to be, no electricity, no indoor toilet. Wow we were all excited. A few weeks later I showed my true colors and screamed, "I want to go home."  This was home, and I had to deal with it for the next nine years.  I was a very strong headed child and it took me some time to value my family as my only social circle.



 I remember the day when I was walking home from feeding the cows with my sister Beth.  I looked across the road as we walked and I said to her, "Did you know that you’re my best friend?" Then we laughed hilariously and rolled all over the road in the snow. Then I said, "Actually, you’re my only friend."  And that was the scary part, because, if given the chance I'd have had a zillion friends.  But I thank the Lord every day for my sisters and the bond we have. That ranch life helped it come to pass.  



My mother taught me to play the piano, sing with my sisters in four part harmony, and play the clarinet and trumpet. My father loved to play the clarinet too.  We played duets at night and for everyone who walked through the doors.  Boy did we have an amazing father. He actually thought we were the prettiest, most talented people in the world.



In all the free time that we had, I dreamed that prince charming would ride his horse into my life and sweep me away. So that is what happened when I married a cowboy from the boonies and we ran away for the weekend and got married.



We have brought 12 wonderful children here into this world to live and to seek their fortunes, so I guess it worked out pretty well.



Ruth




No comments:

Post a Comment