Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Getting Old

Dear Sisters,
     I got an invitation to Joseph Knudson's (an old class mates)  60th Birthday Party, clear back in December. The party was going to be held at his mansion in Centennial Park, Arizona on January 7, 2013. I was really looking forward to seeing some of my old classmates.  I had my hair cut, lost 10 pounds, picked out some cute jeans and jacket and scarf to wear.  I wanted LeAnna to go with me, but at the last minute, her baby got sick so she couldn't go. Helen was going to come up and go with me, but she decided it was too late in the evening and she hadn't been feeling well. So I decided I could be a big girl and go all by myself.
     I found a place to park close by and started walking up to the house with a bunch of other folks. I began to notice that they were all wearing beautiful evening gowns. Oh, well, I had brought a birthday gift for Leann, Joseph's first wife and my long time friend. I thought 'Maybe I will just go in and say Hi, and then bow out.' I went in the majestic pillared entry and ask the greeter if he knew where Leann was. He said he had seen her downstairs. I headed that way.  There she was sitting in a semi-circle with about 4  other women, watching a video of Joseph's life. I went over and said Hi and she was so glad to see me.  We watched the video together and Wow! What a life Joseph has lead.  He owns several hotels around the country,  owns a huge farm west of Delta, that Leann ran for him for several years. Owns a company that makes seals for machinery. I don't know if he still has his Mortgage company. But I think that is where he made his millions. There were 3 plaques on the table, one congratulating him on 46 million dollars in sales, another one for 64 million dollars in sales and yet another one for 224 million dollars in sales.  He owns and flies a small 6 passenger jet all over the country to keep up with all his different businesses.
     Leann took me by the hand and introduced me to everyone. I recognized some people. Jed Hammon and his wife Carol Steed.  I remember in high school how they were so in love. Of course they were breaking all the rules by showing their affection to each other, but no one seemed to care or reprimand them. Everyone knew they were going to get married. And they did. And I heard a few years later after they got married that they had terrible, knock down, drag out fights when he got another wife. I saw Claude Colly, a teacher at the Academy.  Beverly Steed, Marlene and Priscilla Jessop, Melanie Bistline.  Leann's son sang a song, from Les Miserable'  with another really good singer.  She was so proud. They sing a lot at the school there and in her home. It was so fun to hear that they have a lot of music in her house. There were toasts to the birthday boy  and roasts about the birthday boy and then all the men and boys in this huge room full of people,  broke out in song, singing "Give Me Some Men Who are Stout Hearted Men and I soon give you 10,000 more".  It was Awesome. It was like they were one big happy family. They all knew each other and loved each other.
     I was very torn between my hatred for polygamy and the love that I knew these people have for one another.
     I was ready to go, but I wanted to say congratulations to Joseph, so Leann and I went in search of him. When Leann told him who I was he was dumbfounded. He dragged me into the lighted hallway. "What, Jelene, Come into the light, so I can see you better." It was like he was shocked that I was 60 years old. He could be 60, but I shouldn't be 60. Then I ran into 2 other guys I had graduated with and they kept looking at me like I was 100 years old.  I felt like a freak. Of course, they didn't look too bad.  They were still handsome. It was ok for them to be 60. It just wasn't ok for me to be. In their society, women my age are no longer of any use to them, they have moved on to another younger, prettier model.  Of course they were polite and asked how my family was and all but I felt like they wanted me to be 18 still.
      I said my good-byes to Leann and thanked her for taking such good care of me all night, and drove home feeling sad and rejected and old. Some how I have got to be ok with getting old because there is absolutely nothing I can do about it but enjoy it and be gracious about it. I just wish other people could be gracious about it too.  I would have appreciated a "Man, you are looking great. You are still as pretty as ever." That would have been nice and polite.  I will remember that the next time I see someone I haven't seen in a while.  Thanks for listening. Love you all, Jelene

No comments:

Post a Comment