Thursday, June 28, 2012

love letters

Dear sisters,
    Yesterday I read through the love letters father and mother wrote to each other. The letters were full of love and a little frustration on mothers part.  Father had gone down to work in New Mexico for Uncle Lee.  It must have been winter, when he wasn't farming. Father and Mother were both scared about what their new found religion would bring into their lives. They were young and ambitious, and full of life.  They were only thirty five years old.
      Father's letter reads, "I sat down at the station and had a long talk with Lee. He said if he were to go out and talk with you, he's sure that you would leave me and cleave to the church. He said the church meant more to you than I did. I am so thankful you and I see eye to eye. I am afraid I could not do this thing without you. The path looks rough. I am sure as I live and breath, we are on the right road. The road that leads to eternal life... the continuation of seed. I asked Lee about what he thought about what I had given him to read. He said it didn't mean what it said and that Elisa R. Snow was misinformed. I would like to tell the whole world about this wonderful doctrine. I love it. It is part of my life. I hope and pray I may be strong enough to lead you and my family in the path of righteousness.
   My love for you has grown so much since we've excepted the fullness. I didn't know love could grow as ours has.
    Lee doesn't want to change his life. He could not stand to have his friends laugh at him as they will us. He could not pay the price for eternal life that we will have to pay before this is over. Love Wayne."
     Mother writes, "The children are singing 'Before Me Lord'  upstairs and making a mess. We need you so much around here.  I can't take your place. Cheryl had to say the sacrament gem in church today. She also bore her testimony.
     There are so many wonderful things ahead if we can only live for them, but I am so weak and lonely without you. I don't know if I will ever inherit these wonderful blessings. I cannot seem to love my enemies and I cannot seem to conquer my feelings.
    By the time you come home, we will know whether or not I have conceived. You are so wonderful. On Feb. 3rd, James would have been a year old. I wonder how many babies I will have to bare before I have one to love. I don't believe I have cried as much in my whole life, as I have lately. I know I should be of good cheer, but I surely have a hard time.
     I just read where Heber C. Kimball said the Prophet Joseph and others will come and select those who have been righteous enough to return to Jackson County and take part in the building up of the beautiful City, The New Jerusalem. I hope one of them is you. May we all be found serving Him. Your Loving Wife. Ilene"
     So you can see that they were very sincere in their thirst for knowledge. They were searching for the truth. I feel for them. Reading their letters made me want to comfort my sweet mother.  The anguish she went through, leaving her family and the church she had loved so dearly, must have been more than she could bear at times.  They were both very brave and I admire them.    Love Jelene

No comments:

Post a Comment