Saturday, June 23, 2012

If you haven't guessed already, we had a very unique childhood growing up in such a large family. When I was two and a half years old, we moved from Colorado City, Arizona to a 640 acre ranch out in "The Middle of no where Nevada". The road to town was a very dusty (or muddy) 25 mile dirt road that then connected to pavement for a total of 50 miles to a store or school. That first winter, we had no running water in the house, so we carried our  water from the nearby creek and visited the two seater outhouse on the hill. You might ask yourself, why would anyone want a two seated outhouse, but when you have 9 girls in the house and you have to hike up the hill in the dark to go pee before bed, you can bet that the two seats came in handy all of the time.

So this is where all of the fun stories can be told. When you hear them, you will think that we are talking about pioneer days, but it is actually the 1970's. Yes, everyone else in the world had indoor plumbing and electricity, but we were special, so we didn't. lol. The one thing we did have was each other. And in my case (unless Mother forced Lilly to play with me) I had my cat named Flake that I dressed up in doll clothes and strolled around the ranch. It wasn't until I grew up that I realized what a great thing I had in all of my wonderful sisters.

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment